Australian Centre for International and Tropical Health
The Australian Centre for International and Tropical Health (ACITH) was a teaching, research and engagement facility of our School. It aimed to improve the health of populations in Australia and globally through excellence in education, research and service by the provision of first-class coursework and research degree courses in global and tropical public health for Australian students, students from tropical developing countries and other students with a strong interest in these areas.
Other objectives included the development of superior facilities for research and research training, to support global and Australian public health programs and the transfer of knowledge and technology to tropical developing countries, and to make special provision for the training of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students. The maintenance and further development of strong collaborative links with an extensive number of national and global institutions was also a key objective.
ACITH Annual reports
Recent ACITH publications
- Abbey Byrne, Alison Morgan, Eliana Jimenez Soto and Zoe Dettrick. Context-specific, evidence-based planning for scale-up of family planning services to increase progress to MDG 5: health systems research. Reproductive Health 2012, 9:27
- Eliana Jimenez Soto et al. Developing and Costing Local Strategies to Improve Maternal and Child Health: The Investment Case Framework. PLOS Medicine. August 2012. 9;8; e1001282
- Anna E. Bauze et al. Equity and Geography: The Case of Child Mortality in Papua New Guinea. PLoS ONE. May 2012. 7;5; e37861.
- Eliana Jimenez Soto, Zoe Dettrick, Sonja Firth, Abbey Byrne, Sophie La Vincente. Informing family planning research priorities: a perspective from the front line in Asia. Tropical Medicine and International Health. Volume 18:6, 674-677. June 2013
- Aleli D. Kraft, Kim-Huong Nguyen, Eliana Jimenez Soto, Andrew Hodge. Stagnant Neonatal Mortality and Persistent Health Inequality in Middle-Income Countries: A Case Study of the Philippines.PLOS One. January 2013. 8;1; e53696.
- Sophie La Vincente et al. Supporting local planning and budgeting for maternal, neonatal and child health in the Philippines. Health Research Policy and Systems 2013, 11:3.
- Kim-Huong Nguyen, Eliana Jimenez-Soto, Alison Morgan, Chris Morgan, Andrew Hodge. How does progress towards the MDG 4 affect inequalities between different subpopulations? Evidence from Nepal. J. Epidemiol Community Health 2013;67:311-319. doi:10.1136/jech-2012-201503.
- Peter S. Hill, Lieve Goeman, Rahmi Sofiarini and Maddi M. Djara. 'Desa SIAGA', the 'Alert Village': the evolution of an iconic brand in Indonesian public health strategies. Health Policy and Planning 2013;1-12. doi:10.1093/heapol/czt027
- C.E. Brolan, K. van Dooren, M. Taylor Gomez, L. Fitzgerald, R.S. Ware & N. G. Lennox (2013). Suranho healing: Filipino concepts of intellecutal disability and treament choices in Negros Occidenta.Disability & Society, DOI: 10.1080/09687599.2013.771899.
- Adnan Ali Khan Choudhury, James V. Conlan, Vanessa Nadine Racloz, Simon Andrew Reid, Stuart D. Blacksell, Stanley G. Fenwick, Andrew R.C. Thompson, Boualam Khamlome, Khamphouth Vongxay and Maxine Whittaker. The Economic Impact of Pig-Associated Parasitic Zoonosis in Northern Lao PDR.Eco Health.
- Gorik Ooms, Claire Brolan et al. Universal health coverage anchored in the right to health. Bull World Health Organ 2013;91:2-2A.
- Bergquist R and Whittaker M. Control of neglected tropical diseases in Asia Pacific: implications for health information priorities. Infectious Diseases of Poverty 2012, 1:3.
- Wijesinghe R.S, Wickremasinghe A.R. Physical, psychological and social aspects of quality of life in filarial lymphoedema patients in Colombo, Sri Lanka. Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health published online 2 February 2012 DOI: 10.1177/1010539511434140
- Atkinson J-A, Johnson, M-L, Wijesinghe R, Bobogare A, Losi L, O'Sullivan M, Yamaguchi Y, Kenilorea G, Vallely A, Cheng Q, Ebringer A, Bain L, Gray K, Harris I, Whittaker M, Reid H, ClementsA and Shanks D. Operational research to inform a sub-national surveillance intervention for malaria elimination in Solomon Islands. Malaria Journal 2012, 11:101
- Razee H, Whittaker M, Jayasuriya R, Yap L, Brentnall L. Listening to the rural health workers in Papua New Guinea - The social factors that influence their motivation to work. Social Science and Medicine(2012), doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2012.04.013